A common topic or theme I keep seeing when women come to ask RPW for advice is:
1) asking if the man they are dating is being exclusive with them or
2) assuming that, even though they're not "official", they are exclusive just because he said so
Newsflash: if these apply to you, you are not exclusive!
How to tell if you are officially in an LTR:
1) He makes it clear to you (actually says you are boyfriend and girlfriend/in an LTR and uses those terms)
2) He makes it public (to his friends, to his family, on social media, etc. i.e. you are not his "dirty little secret")
3) He treats the relationship like an actual LTR (i.e. no plate-spinning, etc.)
Yes, it's true that even if you are "official" there is no guarantee that an "official" status will prevent him from spinning plates. However, if you've been following the tenets of RPW, you have vetted, vetted, vetted your man against this tendency and others you do not like, as well as keeping yourself feminine, attractive, etc., enough to keep his attention from wandering.
If you've been hung up on a man that is stringing you along regarding whether you are "official" or not, cut contact ASAP. Make your expectations known. You should probably get tested for STDs too: if he's not open with you about your relationship status and shows signs of plate-spinning behavior, then it's probably best not to make any positive assumptions about the state of his sexual health either.
TL;DR: Don't be naive. Always assume you are not exclusive until his behavior actually shows otherwise.